Header

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

The Future

The future is something that is rather scary to think about. You can't really predict what is going to happen. You have control over where you attend college and what your major is in college.  But at the age of eighteen how many people really know what they want to spend the rest of their life doing?  It is difficult enough to pick a school let alone what you want to do. Even with a school, lots of people transfer somewhere else within their first two years for a number of reasons.  In regards to the major, most people end up switching majors or going to college more than one time to be certified in something else.  The economy is a constant roller coaster which makes predicting one's job outlook very difficult.  This can be influential on what one majors in too, unfortunately. All the uncertainty makes choosing a career path confusing.  I personally believe that you have to do what you are passionate, something that you really want to do, and not listen to the people who tell you not pursue this.

So what do I want to do...
I would like to become a teacher at the middle or elementary level.  I am currently attending school in Maryland, but ideally I would like to be certified in PA and teach there after graduating.  PA is changing their certification process, so I am looking to be certified in grades four through eight.  Now that I have finally decided on this, I just need to decide what my concentration will be in (math, science, or language arts).  Social studies is not even an option for me, I never liked learning about history or geography.  I am leaning towards science. Ideally I would like to have a dual concentration but I'm not sure if that is even possible.

In order to become a teacher you need to be incredibly involved and have an impressive resume.  So now my mission is to continue to build that resume to the best of my ability.  With that said, this leads me into a summer job.  To work or not? I do need the money.  The issue is where to work! I'm in the process of searching for a summer job that has some flexibility because I love being able to get away to the beach for a few days here and there throughout the summer.

I am exploring all of my options, but I find it quite overwhelming at times.


To my fellow bloggers:

  1. Do any of you have suggestions for a future teacher? 
  2. How did you decide what you are doing today, even if it's not teaching?
xoxo
-mQs-

4 comments:

  1. I thought I knew exactly what I wanted to do with my life, and I just changed my major about a week ago.. So now I have no idea what I want to do with my life.. But Im okay with that! Things will work out like they are supposed too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just wanted to stop by and let you know nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award!
      Go to my blog and see more information!
      Crazyperfectlfe.blogspot.com

      Delete
  2. have you considered TFA? I want to teach eventually too! I think you're headed in the right direction. It's great that you know what you want to do :)

    ReplyDelete