Header

Thursday, August 20, 2015

Don't Label Me Basic


Over the past year a term, basic bitch, has become an increasingly popular way to refer to women.  Today I am here to share with you why I am not basic nor a bitch. Yes, I enjoy my Starbucks, vests, leggings, spirit jerseys, sorority, Lilly Pulitzer, pinterest, essie nail polish, boots, Instagram, twitter, taking pictures of food, monograms, and brunch.  Apparently enjoying these things classifies me to be a basic bitch, but I disagree! 

For starters, a bitch is technically another term for a female dog. Last time I checked, I don't fall into that category.  So now that we have that cleared up, let's talk about this whole concept of being basic. In the past few years, the term basic bitch has been used to describe any female who enjoys things viewed as "mainstream". This makes women feel as though they are supposed to be ashamed for enjoying these things because it makes them too ordinary. What you consume does not define who you are as a person.  By no means can consumption determine character. Today's society is filled with consumption, which is fine but we cannot let that define us. Both men and women contribute to the consumer society. This basic society is described by several different media outlets herehere, and here. Essentially consumption is personal preference and shouldn't be anything more than that.

However, I am proud to like all of these things, which are all part of what makes me who I am.  I am not ashamed because while I like these things I am also a woman looking to defy gender roles and stereotypes. I am strong, I am intelligent, I am hard working, and I seek to be my own person. I like the things I like without needing others' stamped approval. This term is just another way for society to shame on women.

For instance, there is not such thing as a basic man.  The man that loves watching sports, drinks beer, indulges on a burger, and is a sports center addict. Society primarily crowns women with these lovely terms. 



The definition of Basic Bitch Courtesy of Urban Dictionary. 

What are your thoughts on the term?
XOXO

4 comments:

  1. Preach! It is very hypocritical that us girls are criticized no matter what end of the spectrum we are at. If you like mainstream stuff it's wrong and you are basic, but if you try to be different you are weird and an outcast. It's always a lose-lose situation. Haters gonna hate.
    Love,

    Ane | Basque Prep

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely agree! Believe it or not, one of the girls in my senior seminar class actually did her senior thesis on this topic. A lot of her research actually paralleled racism and how it's very similar to preliminary race issues.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post! Each person is different, and I'm not "basic" because I enjoy certain things!

    ReplyDelete