Header

Monday, February 6, 2017

Mala Bracelets


 Meditation is something that I find relaxing. It helps keep me present, and it reminds me to focus on the intentions/goals I've set for the day, week, month, year, etc. I typically do some form of meditation during yoga, before bed, when I wake up in the morning, or when I'm feeling stressed or anxious. 

In the past few months I've found myself being more anxious than ever before. Anxiety can be scary and overwhelming at times. I have been working to cope with my anxiety before it escalates to a point that I can't control.  Some tools I've found to calm myself down include breathing exercises, meditating, and exercising.  

In early January my mom shared a blogpost with me about Mala bracelets. Mala bracelets have been used for years in the prayer and mediation processes.  We decided to head to the craft store and gather the supplies to make our own.  For each of us they symbolize something different. For me, this bracelet is a reminder to breathe more and relax.  Mala bracelets are always made with 108 beads.  You can read more about their significance here

Even if you don't meditate, these bracelets are cute and fashionable! If you'd rather make a necklace, then follow this tutorial

Here's what you'll need:
your choice of 107 beads
1 larger bead (Mala bead)
Tassel or string to make your own
Elastic thread
Scissors

Begin making your bracelet by laying your beads out.  You'll want to figure out your pattern before you begin stringing any beads.  My mom and I created a template for our bracelets, on paper, before we started.

Once our pattern was created, we cut our string. I cut mine about three feet long. It's easier to work with more string than less. Next, you'll want to knot one end of the string.  String your beads on according to your pattern.  Slide your beads to the middle of the string, and cut off the end with the knot.  Place the two ends of the string together, and thread your larger bead through.  Now you will want to knot the two ends of the thread so that you have a loop of beads.


 The last step is to add your tassel.  If you're going to make your own tassel, then you'll want to follow this tutorial. It's pretty easy to do.  Once your tassel is made, use a piece of extra string to attach it to your bracelet. 

XOXO

1 comment:

  1. I liked the mala bracelet you shared with us. I think it is easy ti make this mala bracelet. Thanks for sharing the technique of making this.

    essential oil pendant necklace

    ReplyDelete