Header

Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Staying Productive During the Summer Months

The summer is a time of year that most people love. While everyone's reasons are a little different, we all share this common enjoyment. The season is usually filled with a little fun in the sun, but there has to be some productivity in the midst of all the memories being made. As a teacher, I had the privilege of having the majority of the summer months off from school. Although, if you took a peep at my calendar I'm not too sure you would call all my time off a summer vacation. On my days off it can be easy to let the day slip away.  However, I try to balance these days with equal parts relaxation and productivity.  The other day somebody asked me how I am so productive in the summer, which is what gave me the inspiration to share my tips with each of you! 

The summer can be filled with vacation, a little bit of work, making time for friends and family, and lots of spontaneity.  Despite all the fun, there are things that must get done. So how can you possibly balance the things you want to do with those that you have to do?

Wake up at a decent hour
Do not let the day get away from you by spending all morning sleeping. It is important to get out of bed and start functioning at a reasonable hour.  Waking up at the same time every day provides you with a normal sleep schedule, which can increase your productivity. 

Establish Routines
Routines are crucial to success. This summer I have been working on waking up earlier to get more done. I wake up, take care of my puppy, and then workout before heading off to work.  Running in the mornings gives me a great jumpstart to the day.  I also create a mental to do list during my workout. It's the time I take to organize what my day will look like.  Another routine I have is eating breakfast each morning. I am most productive during the morning hours, so I try to get most of my tasks done then. Find the time that your work best and schedule your tasks to be completed during this timeframe. 

Don't procrastinate
This is kind of obvious, but I think it is an important reminder.  Get your least favorite tasks done first. This will keep you from spending too much time thinking about how much you don't want to do them. When you get the harder stuff over with earlier on, then it makes it easier to complete the less daunting tasks. Plus it is important to get things done when you have free time, so that if something better pops up you do not have anything holding you back. 

Timed Tasks
Don't let these boring tasks take you all day. Giving yourself a time allotment to get something done ensures that you are using your time efficiently and not wasting the day on something you don't actually want to be doing. 

What gets measured gets managed
Start each day by making yourself a to do list. I'm not talking about one of those to do lists that are impossible to complete. I am talking about a to do list filled with tasks that you can realistically complete in one day's time. When you can cross something off a list, you are more likely to do it. 

Do something meaningful
If your summer months are filled with free time, then look for something to add to your calendar that gives you a purpose. Look into getting an internship, learning a new skill, take a class, get a part time job, etc. Giving yourself a purpose can also lead to productivity. 

Take a vacation
It is so important to recharge your batteries. It is okay to treat yourself to a little rest and relaxation to jump start a new period of productivity. Seriously, everyone needs a little time off each year. 


What are your productivity tips for the summer?
XOXO




No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!