Header

Thursday, September 4, 2014

Transfer Diaries: Change for the Better

This time last year I was in a completely different state of happiness than the one I have to this day.  A year ago, I was in the midst of my first week of classes, at the university I transferred to, feeling a whole mixed bag of emotions. I was pretty miserable and I'm so appreciative to those who are close to me for helping me through this little rough patch.  I was feeling overwhelmed going from a school with 1,500 students to 15,000.  I felt very lonely like I didn't belong anywhere.  I did not love the school nor my classes. I was not playing field hockey for the first time in eight years.  I was missing my friends and team at my previous college.  I was watching all of my friends have a blast at all of their colleges and was feeling frustrated that I just didn't share that same feeling. Overall it just was not a good time for me.  I guess you could say I don't deal well with change.

My mom knew how I was feeling and encouraged me to attend my school's involvement fair.  Taking her advice I walked to "the quad" and was overwhelmed by the number of people and clubs that were all there.  I quickly walked through but didn't find anything of interest, my anxiety was at a high.
Later on in the semester I joined a few clubs, got more involved, and met more people.  

Fast forward one year, I'm happy, have lots of friends, I'm involved, and I'm loving my classes this semester.  Today we had the involvement fair.  I actually spent several hours there- one walking around checking out all the opportunities that were there and the second hour I worked my sorority's table.  This year I felt confident walking through the crowded sidewalks. It's amazing how much a difference one year can make.  

This semester I feel much better than I did one year ago. I still don't love the school I'm at, but I'm definitely more accepting.  I feel like I belong there. I am excite to see what this year has in store for me. Transferring has definitely brought on period of change for me but I've finally accepted it and I'm ready to take on whatever comes my way.
To those of you who have transferred, I'm sure you can relate to the experiences I've had in the past year.

xoxo
-mQs-

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!