Header

Friday, April 19, 2013

Random Friday Lunch

Today the dining hall at our college has closed, they sent all the student and faculty and invitation to a lights out lunch.  This was a push to go green.  They brought in local venues to produce lunches from purely organic ingredients and hand these out in recyclable containers.  Initially, I was not very fond of this concept but after picking up and eating my lunch I was thrilled.  I am all about eating healthy, and eating in the college dining hall often limits my choices for doing so.  But today this was not the case, my lunch was healthy, had variety, and was delicious! 

I had a salad with fresh greens, blueberries, strawberries, mandarin oranges, grilled chicken, and blue cheese crumbles topped with a homemade lemon vinaigrette dressing. On the side I had a vegetable medley with zucchini and red peppers.  
The lunch also included a fresh bread stick, but this wasn't just your classic olive garden bread stick.  It was like a mini baguette.  I love fresh bread, so obviously this was my favorite part of the lunch.  To finish up my meal, I had two double chocolate chip cookies.  Drinks were given out in mason jars.  I opted for fresh brewed iced tea, it tasted just like the kind my mom makes so I was thrilled.  I plan on keeping my jar to use for flowers or something later on. 


 The only downside to this "lights out" lunch was that because the upper dining hall was closed, there was limited seating.  Since 12:30 is a common lunch time all of the tables were taken.  It rained this morning so the grass was damp. We were not about to sit on wet grass and lunch, so my roommate and I took our food to our room to eat. 

I know it is a Friday afternoon, but I am off to do some homework since I am going to be too tired to do so Sunday after our relay event. 
Have a great weekend!

xoxo
-mQs-

4 comments:

  1. What an interesting idea! Glad your lunch was yummy! The only thing my college dining hall ever did to go green was to have "trayless mondays" which allegedly saved water by not washing them, but it was more annoying than anything!

    ReplyDelete