Header

Sunday, December 22, 2013

Semester Reflection

If you asked me this time last year where I would be, I wouldn't say living at home commuting to a state school, thirty minutes from home.  I posted several times (Post 1 & Post 2) about transferring to a new college awhile back.  The decision to transfer was not a choice I took very lightly.  It took me a lot of pros and cons lists, talking to my parents, some tears, and lots of thinking before I decided to transfer to a college back in PA.  I knew it was going to be much different than where I came from, but I wasn't sure how exactly it would differ.

Some things that I found were different:
Manners: I had just assumed that it was normal for people to be friendly and have manners, apparently I was wrong.  When somebody sneezes, you say bless you.  Nope, I was in a lecture with 80 people when I sneezed and not a single person, not even the professor, said bless you.  Another place I noticed people were slacking with their manners, was holding the door open for others.  I can't tell you how many times the people in front of me would just open the door walk in and not even consider looking to see if somebody was behind them.  By the end of the semester, I found myself being surprised when somebody would hold the door open or say bless you when myself or anybody else sneezed. 

Academics:  I never realized how academically challenging my previous college was until I transferred. The type of thinking that is required between the two schools differs drastically.  The way they evaluate was quite different. School #1 evaluated more through broader thinking, so essays and exams with open ended questions.  Wheres at school #2 evaluated largely through multiple choice exams.  This difference took me awhile to get used to.  Initially, I was getting all the points possible on open ended questions but I would struggle with multiple choice.  By the end of the semester, I adapted my studying and saw great improvements.  My grades were the best they have been yet.  I didn't make dean's list, but it allows me room for improvement. 

Communication: school #1 was great with informing students and parents with what events were going on each week, when drop/add dates were, when your tuition was due, etc.  With school #2 I have found that I have to be much more resourceful and find the answers to any questions by myself. This was very frustrating to me, and I am still struggling with this.  I do have to say, school #2 is great about taking commuters into consideration when deciding whether to hold school or not when there is inclement weather, so kudos to them for doing that. 


 Needless to say this semester was full of changes for me. Some changes were positive and others took some time to get used to. This semester I became a field hockey coach, a commuter, and an Alpha Delta Pi.  All of these things have been great.  

Joining a sorority helped me feel like I now have a place to call home at my new school.  It has allowed me meet some wonderful women, and I am so excited for the opportunities it will present me with.  In ten weeks I made some great friends, and I have already experienced the value that joining a sorority has.  

Coaching field hockey has always been something that I have wanted to do.  I just never thought I would become a coach this young.  It is something that I intend to do for the rest of my life.  I love seeing the growth of my players, both as an athlete and as young women.  The other great thing about coaching, are the women who I coach with.  They are my two former coaches from high school.  These women are such great role models, they give the best advice and are so fun to be around.   

I surprisingly enjoy commuting. I really like being able to come home and not bring the stress of school with me, most of the time.  There is just something about not living on campus that makes things less stressful to me. Plus, I get home cooked meals by my mom, which is a huge bonus!  I am a huge family person, so getting to see my parents and brother all the time is something I really enjoy. 

Here are some pictures that highlight some of this semester:

Raising awareness for suicide prevention with the team I coached.

Celebrating three years with tDn.

Spending a weekend visiting my best friend. 
This was my first weekend I spent at somebody else's school.  
We went to a football game and tailgated with my dad and some of his friends. 
 It was so fun to experience what college life somewhere else was like.

Being elected as Membership Education Vice President. 
I can't wait to serve on executive committee with these wonderful sisters of mine.

Becoming a founding sister of the Theta Sigma chapter of Alpha Delta Pi. 
This was our installation where our international officers recognized us as an official chapter.



I definitely learned a lot about myself this semester. I am excited to see what next semester will bring. I am thrilled to finally have a break and to take some time to re group.  Reflecting has definitely helped me realize how lucky I truly am. 

Xoxo
mQs

5 comments:

  1. Hooray for suicide prevention!! It's a cause close to my heart. Congrats again on ADPi. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww this is all so great! It sounds like even though you had great semester, even with the challenges you faced and the changes. Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. aww looks like an overall great decision and I'm happy to see you're getting involved - enjoy your break!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved hearing updates about your new school! I can't believe another semester has passed us by, but it looks like yours was awesome :) It's so interesting to look at the differences between the two schools. My school right now is more like school #1 and it's weird how different academic culture can be like!

    Also, it's so cool how you joined a sorority! Joining a sorority made a huge difference in my college life too--such a good decision! :)

    Wishing you a very merry Christmas and fun time with family!

    xo, gina

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this reflection! I think they're some of the best ways to clear our heads and realize all of the positive changes that happened. Congrats on ADPi and on MEVP!

    Tori
    www.thegarnetdiaries.com

    ReplyDelete