Header

Monday, April 21, 2014

French Cooking

My adventures in the kitchen have increased significantly since I have moved back home.  I'm actually starting to enjoy cooking, something I never thought I would say! It's obvious by now that I enjoy just about anything that is considered to be french.  I especially love french food.  I have eaten french cookies before, but I have been wanting to bake my own.

I'm sure most of you have seen or tried Madeleine cookies, they are a popular item sold at most Starbucks locations.  These soft cookies are made in a variety of flavors: lemon, orange, vanilla, etc. They are made in a pan, which gives them a sea shell shape. These pans can be bought at many different places.  I found mine at Home Goods for $11, but I have seen them decently priced on Amazon too.

These cookies are really easy to make.  What makes this process long, is the fact that you can only cook 10-12 cookies at a time because the pan's shape.


Ingredients:
2 eggs
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup white sugar
1/2 cup All purpose flour
1 tablespoon lemon zest
1/4 cup butter

My recipe:
One: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter and flour the Madeleine pan, then set it aside.
Two: Melt the butter and cool it to room temperature
Three: Beat eggs, vanilla, and salt in a mixing bowl.
Four: Gradually add sugar, and continue beating at a high speed until the mixture is thick.  
Five: Gently add the flour and egg mixture a small amount at a time, until it is completely added.
Six: Add lemon zest and pit the melted butter into the batter. 
Seven: Spoon the batter into the molds.
Eight: Bake for 13 minutes, or until the cookies are golden and the tops have a spongy texture.
Nine: Using the tip of a knife, remove the cookies from the mold and place them on a cooling rack.  

These are a great snack to have with some tea or coffee, enjoy!
xoxo
-mQs-

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!