Header

Thursday, June 28, 2018

How to Pack for the Beach

It's no secret that I love spending time at the beach, especially during the summer months. One of the perks to being a teacher is having the summer months "off".  Not many teachers I know are ever actually off the entire summer. Most of us stay busy whether we like it or not between working part time (maybe even full time for some), planning for the upcoming year, taking classes, teaching extended school year during July, doing curriculum development days, etc.  As for me, this summer I am not working full time, but I am staying busy thanks to nannying, catching up with friends, curriculum development, reading some books to stay current with my students, during June I took a class, and I am prepping to coach high school field hockey.  With all that is going on I do have some free time, but it never comes two days in a row.  This upcoming week is actually the only time that I have seven full days in a row with absolutely nothing on my calendar. I am taking full advantage of this by heading down to the beach for ten whole days. I could not be happier heading down for some much needed rest, relaxation, and fun!

With any trip comes the need to pack.  I don't know about you, but I am definitely an over packer. I always like to be prepared. Going to the beach you never know exactly what you are going to encounter as far as weather or festivities go.   I think this provides a reasonable explanation for overpacking, but regardless of the excuses I make,I'm really trying to pack more efficiently. Realistically, I know that I am going to spend the most time in my bathing suit/cover up, so I am taking very few dressed up looks. I plan to spend my mornings working out followed by blogging at a local coffee shop, and then I hope to spend most afternoons/ early evenings soaking up the sun on the beach. 


One: Think about your itinerary
It's important to think about what you will actually be doing on your trip before you begin packing. This ensures that you have the right types of clothing for whatever you may be doing, and it helps you make sure nothing is forgotten. 

Two: Create your essentials list
It's important to make a list of the essentials you will need because these won't change. When I make an essentials list it usually includes items like under garments, pajamas, sneakers, sandals, bathing suits, and toiletries. 

Three: Mix and match
This is my favorite and most difficult part of the whole packing experience. I like to do this once all of my laundry is clean and put away. I begin to think about what I will be doing and take out possible outfits I could wear. I then begin to narrow it down based on what my favorites are. I try to pick items that can be worn several different ways. This gives me more options when I'm away. 

Four: Lay it all out to view
This is a very important step to making sure nothing is forgotten. It also serves as a check point to see if you have over packed. Ask yourself what do I have duplicates of and what am I forgetting.  Seeing everything laid out also helps to visualize what luggage is best to use for your trip.  

Five: Pack it Up
Put it all in your luggage and enjoy the trip!

 


What's in your bag for your next beach trip?
XOXO

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!