Header

Friday, October 4, 2013

I'm Back Part 3- The First, Finest, Forever

Happy Friday everyone.  My Fall break has officially started as of an hour and a half ago!
The other day I shared with you my Formal recruitment experience.  Today I am here to share with you something that has a much a happier ending is rather uplifting.

I mentioned in my last post that I dropped out of recruitment.  Well, I actually did this for a purpose. During the first night of recruitment I attended an information session about a sorority that would be colonizing (added to) campus this Fall, Alpha Delta Pi.  In order to go through Alpha Delta Pi's recruitment process I had to drop out of formal recruitment because ADPi had their own recruiting process, since they were colonizing.

Alpha Delta Pi's recruitment was the week after formal recruitment, last week.
Day one was an information session about their recruitment process and information about Alpha Delta Pi.  Their international president came and spoke to us, which is a pretty big deal!
I wore jeans, clark boots, a blue and white striped shirt, and a cream cardigan.

Day 2 of recruitment was on Wednesday: Philanthropy Night
ADPi's philanthropy is Ronald McDonald House.  We got to socialize with sisters from other collegiate chapters in our area, listen to a presentation given by a RMH representative, and we made a craft.
We made wrist bands for the children at RMH.  These go over their hospital bracelets.  The lion is ADPi's mascot.

My outfit for Philanthropy night:
White and Black polka dot blouse, dark jeans, and my clark boots

Day 3 of Recruitment: "The Interview"
Since ADPi is colonizing on campus, the alumni and members of executive had the opportunity to choose the type of woman they were looking for to represent ADPi.  In order to get to know you better, each woman wishing to join ADPi was required to have an interview with two ADPi alumnae women. During the interview, they asked me questions about my history of leadership, why I wanted to go ADPi, and characteristics to describe myself.  It only lasted about thirty minutes, but to me it felt more like a conversation rather than an interview.  I think this because the two women who interviewed me were so friendly. 
I wore a Navy and white striped dress from GAP, black pumps, and (of course) my pearls.
I got a compliment from the two women because I wore blue and white, ADPi's official colors.  I swear I didn't mean to do so, it was just a coincidence.

Day 4 BID DAY (Friday)
We were told that if we received a phone call from 8-10 a.m. then that meant we did not receive a bid, but if we did not receive a phone call then we were to pick up our bid at noon in the student union.  Well, let me tell you how at 9:55 my phone rang and it was a number I did not know, so I answered it...  turns out it was just a telemarketer.  

After taking an exam and attending two more classes, I went to the student union building to accept my bid.  I was greeted with a big hug, a tee shirt, and tons of lovely alumni congratulating us.  

We were to come back in three hours for our Colony Bid Day Celebration. So I went to the library and did some homework I went on pinterest to create my ADPi board. 

Bid Day Celebrations included chanting, sisterhood bonding, ice breakers, pinning ceremony, pizza, group pictures, making trick or treat bags for the children at RMH, and a trip to Kiwi Frozen Yogurt courtesy of ADPi. 

 Since we are colonizing on campus, there were absolutely no existing members for our campus so we recruited a large number of girls (approximately 90).  Since there are no existing members, this means that my sisters and I are the founding members of ADPi WCU.

 The energy of that afternoon was indescribable. Everyone was filled with such happiness and positivity.  
These are two of my sisters. The one on the left actually was who i was paired with every time during formal recruitment, she too dropped out of formal recruitment for ADPi.  My sister on the right side of the picture is one of the first people I really connected with at my new school.  We have a class together three times a week.
Bid Day was the first of many days of meeting new people and getting acquainted with all my sisters. I met some great people, and I look forward to getting to know them better.

Sunday was our sisterhood retreat.  We learned about the history of ADPi, had sisterhood bonding, ate some delicious food, played games outside, took pictures, learned about values, filled out paperwork, played icebreakers, and crafted. It was a long day but definitely important.
My very first sorority crafting experience. I am a terrible painter, but I love this saying.

We were placed into groups, and spend the day with these people.  These are the sisters I got to know better on Sunday.  What I enjoy about being a sorority this far is that everyone is different and we each have something unique to bring to the table.


This is Katie, she is a consultant for Alpha Delta Pi.  After telling Miss ALK (a blogging friend and now sister of mine) that  I was joining ADPi, she asked me if I had met Katie.  Well, the answer is YES! Miss ALK had met Katie when she was going through recruitment several weeks ago at her college down south.  I asked Katie is she knew Miss ALK, and it turns out she remembered talking to her.  Katie shared with me that Miss ALK had told her she knew somebody at my university going through recruitment who was considering joining ADPi, referring to me.  It is really such a small world.

These are just a few of the items I received over the weekend thanks to Alpha Delta Pi!

So there you have it, my complete sorority recruitment experience.  I am so excited to be a sister of Alpha Delta Pi, and I can't wait to see the opportunities that it will provide me with in life.

Xoxo
-mQs-



4 comments:

  1. That is SO exciting. Colonizing sounds like such a cool process and I am so glad you were able to find a sorority that makes you happy! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome home to the white and blue! So glad that you're here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations!! :) Panhellenic Love from a Delta Zeta alumna! Saw West Chester has a DZ chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy we're sisters! I still can't believe how close our lives are right now... we both went through transferring and then we both went ADPi!

    xoxo A

    ReplyDelete