Header

Monday, May 16, 2016

Kitchen Adventures: Neiman Marcus Chocolate Chip Cookie

These cookies are made with chocolate chips, ground oats, chopped walnuts, and shaved chocolate.  

There's a story that has gone around the internet for years about how a woman paid $250 for the recipe for Neiman Marcus' chocolate chip cookie recipe. The rumor goes something like this. Years ago a woman had a cookie at the Neiman Marcus cafe that was to die for. She asked her waitress for the recipe, and the waitress told her it would cost "two-fifty".  The woman assumed she meant $2.50. However, after receiving her bill she found out it was $250.  After spending $250 for this magical recipe, the woman was so mad that she decided to share this recipe across the internet. You can read Neiman Marcus' version of the story here.

These are one of my favorite cookies to eat and make. They're a little bit more labor intensive than your tradition chocolate chip cookie, but they are definitely worth the little bit of extra time it takes to make them. 

Ingredients:
2.5 cups rolled oats
2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs 
1 tsp. vanilla extract
12 oz. chocolate chips
4 oz milk chocolate (grated)
1.5 cups chopped walnuts


Recipe:
one.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line baking sheets with parchment paper

two.
Blend the oats in a blender until they become a fine powder.

three.
In a bowl combine oats, flour, baking power, baking soda, and salt. 
Once combined, set this mixture aside.

four.
In a mixer, combine butter, brown sugar, and the other sugar until it is fluffy (about 3-4 minutes).

five.
Scrape the sides of the bowl and add the eggs one at a time. 

six.
Add the vanilla extract.

seven. 
Slowly add the flour mixture to the ingredients in the mixer. 

eight.
Add the chocolate chips, chopped walnuts, and grated chocolate to the batter.

nine.
Use a cookie scooper to create two inch balls and place on a cookie sheet.

ten.
Bake each sheet of cookies for ten minutes.

eleven.
Let the cookies cool before enjoying them.

XOXO




11 comments:

  1. Oooh yes I need to make these! I stress bake so I'll probably be making these tonight before my midterms!

    -Meagan | Love by Meagan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh YUM their cookies are the best. Have you ever tried making their popovers? I die every time I have one!
    XO Amanda | www.glitterandspice.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound soooo good! I honestly think walnuts improve anything you put them in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, these sound DELICIOUS! I love the fun little story that accompanies the cookies :)

    XO, SS || Seersucker Sass

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE this!! The Neiman Marcus cafe cookies are literally amazing, I need to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such an interesting story! I can't say I would be willing to pay $250 for a cookie recipe but I certainly am willing to try it hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never heard of this story, nor have I ever tried these cookies. Looks good though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chocolate chip cookies are my favorite thing to eat. I can't wait to try this out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These cookies look delicious! I have heard this story before, it is so crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha! That story is hilarious.

    http://thealwaysblog.com

    ReplyDelete