Header

Monday, July 24, 2017

Summer Reading List

My goal for this year was to read a book each month. So far I have been able to do so successfully. This summer I've actually been able to read two to three books per month. Summer is hands down the time of year when I am able to get the most reading done. I am still busy in the summer months, but no school work is involved so it allows me more time to read. 

During the day I am a summer nanny. The children I look after are getting older and don't need to be entertained by me every minute of the day, which allows me to have more free time while watching them. My favorite activity to pass the time is to read. I can take a book anywhere we go- the pool, trampoline park, swim lessons, outside, inside, etc. The amount of reading I get done depends on the week, but there are some weeks when I am able to read at least a whole book. I try to read at night, but I usually get no further than ten pages and you will find me asleep with all the lights on. 

Most books I read during the summer are light beach reads.  I like mindless reading that has a happy ending. This summer I seem to be mixing it up a bit more with some thrillers and non fiction. 

Finished
"...Straub packs wisdom and insight and humor together in a satisfying book about neighbors and nosiness, ambition and pleasure, the excitement of youth, the shock of middle age, and the fact that our passions- be they food, or friendship, or music-never  go away, they just evolve and grow along with us."

"Every day the same. Rachel takes the same commuter train every morning and night. every day she rattles down the track, flashes past a stretch of cozy suburban homes, and stops at the signal that allows her to daily watch the same couple breakfasting on their desk. She's even started to feel like she knows them. Jess and Jason, she calls them. Their life-as she sees it- is perfect. Not unlike the life she recently lost. Until today. And then she see something shocking.."

"At twenty-two, Cheryl Strayed thought she had lost everything. In the wake of her mother’s death, her family scattered and her own marriage was soon destroyed. Four years later, with nothing more to lose, she made the most impulsive decision of her life. With no experience or training, driven only by blind will, she would hike more than a thousand miles of the Pacific Crest Trail from the Mojave Desert through California and Oregon to Washington State—and she would do it alone."

Currently Reading: 
"Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a strange package with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers several cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker—his classmate and crush—who committed suicide two weeks earlier. Hannah's voice tells him that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out why."

What's Next:
"Isabella, Mary, and Lauren feel like everyone they know is getting married. On Sunday after Sunday, at bridal shower after bridal shower, they coo over toasters, collect ribbons and wrapping paper, eat minuscule sandwiches and cakes. They wear pastel dresses and drink champagne by the case, but amid the celebration these women have their own lives to contend with: Isabella is working a dead-end job, Mary is dating a nice guy with an awful mother, and Lauren is waitressing at a midtown bar and wondering why she's attracted to the sleazy bartender."

"In this refreshingly entertaining how-to guide, #1 New York Times Bestselling 
Author and world-traveling success coach, Jen Sincero, serves up 27 bite-sized chapters full of hilariously inspiring stories, sage advice, easy exercises, and the occasional swear word. If you're ready to make some serious changes around here, You Are a Badass will help you: Identify and change the self-sabotaging beliefs and behaviors that stop you from getting what you want, blast past your fears so you can take big exciting risks, figure out how to make some damn money already, learn to love yourself and others, set big goals and reach them - it will basically show you how to create a life you totally love, and how to create it NOW."

"Is it really better to have loved and lost?  Louna's summer job is to help brides plan their perfect day, even though she stopped believing in happily-ever-after when her first love ended tragically.  But charming girl-magnet Ambrose isn't about to be discouraged now that he's met the one he really  wants.  Maybe Louna's second chance is standing right in front of her."

Note: book descriptions are from Amazon

I'd love to hear about what books you've been reading this summer. I'm always looking for books to add to my reading list!

XOXO

1 comment:

  1. What did you think of Modern Lovers?! I finished it the other day, and for me it just kind of fell flat. I read the last page and thought, "Huh, that's it?" Good for a light beach read, but it wasn't really what I was expecting!

    ReplyDelete